Mineral Wells Fire Hydrants

Only City Council members and authorized City staff are allowed to post on this message board.

Senate Bill 1297 adds a provision to the Texas Open Meetings Act which provides that communication between councilmembers about public business or public policy over which the council has supervision or control does not constitute a meeting if the communication is in writing, is posted to an online message board that is viewable and searchable by the public; and displayed in real time and displayed on the message board for no less than 30 days after the communication is first posted.

A city is prohibited from having more than one online message board used for these purposes. The message board may only be used by city councilmembers or city employees that have received authorization from the council. If a city employee posts on the message board, the employee must include his or her name and title with the communication. The council may not vote or take action by posting on the city’s online message board, and if the city removes a posted message, the city must retain the posting for six years.

Mineral Wells Fire Hydrants

Postby cwright » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:57 pm

This is my first post to this board and really not sure who is listening or watching this message board.

In the last few weeks, I have been notified of several fire hydrants that are poorly maintained. I travel around the city to different locations and found several more fire hydrants that were in need of some general maintenance.

These fire hydrants were in need of paint, weed eating, tag markings and greasing. When I talked to Chief Pool, he informed me that he did not have the manpower or the equipment to do these tasks.

I am in the process, of trying to talk to the volunteers or starting a group of citizens to take on this project. If I am able to arrange for this project to be started, I would like to come to the council to get the funding for grease, paint and paint supplies. Currently, I have asked for the current book on the locations and was informed that Mr. Buzzbee (sp) will be generating a map of the fire hydrants in the Southwest area of the city first and then followed by the other areas.

Not sure on time to complete the project, but I would like to have a budget of $2,500 to start. After doing one fire hydrant, I should be able to get a better handle on cost per fire hydrant without having to put in change order request :D

There is no way on this system to show you the picture, but at least one of the fire hydrants had weeds as talk as me.

With this project, I see mapping each fire hydrant, marking each with a tag and maintaining a log of maintenance that the fire department can use for updating any problems.

Please let me know what you think about this project and if you think funding would be a problem.

Thanks
Clif Wright,
At-Large Place 1 Councilman
City of Mineral Wells
P O Box 460
Mineral Wells, TX 76068
940 328 7702 phone
940 463 5552 phone
940 328 7704 fax
councilplace1@mineralwellstx.gov
cwright

Return to Public Message Board